ultegra 105 (and maybe others?) rear shifter cable breakage
  • This controls the rear derailer, it will break. Two riders had failures on the last Tour de Sunday. You will know a failure is coming when the derailer starts shifting poorly occasionally. At this point individual wire strands are fatiguing and breaking. You can see them if you peek into the lever. I have replaced 2 on my bike over 4 years or so and I am not a high mileage rider but do use the gears alot.

Do yourself a favor and just replace it every year. It is an easy job if only a few stands are broken but becomes a chore if it breaks. Moreover, when it breaks it can damage the shifter requireing replacement which is very $$.

I bet there is a Youtube on the replacement but its pretty intuitive to do yourself.
  • My cables on my Jamis Ventura Race lasted about 5000 miles (approx 1 year) before the rear cable broke. I didn't get any fraying on mine. It just snapped. I replaced them with Gore Ride On cables. So smooth. It's like having all new shifters.

Howdy, Stranger!

Sign in, or apply for membership. Message board privileges are reserved for current CCC members only, and must be approved.