No need to hibernate for the winter or schlep to/from the gym for spin class. You can now participate in actual group rides within Zwift's virtual worlds to suffer, draft and chat with fellow members. This ride features Zwift's new "keep everyone together" setting, which means regardless of whether you're a speedy A or casual C/D rider, as long as you're pedaling you'll magically remain within the group. For more on this feature, see https://zwiftinsider.com/keep-everyone-together/. Note that while this feature generally works like an overall "tailwind" and is a net speed improvement, riders hammering out front effectively "donate" some power to the broad group so may notice their reported speeds slightly lower than if they were riding solo, so don't plan on chasing PR's on this one :-)
The ride route and distance will vary each week, with the intent being to introduce everyone to areas and routes throughout Zwift. Since this is a virtual ride, there's not harm or shame in anyone simply logging out and disappearing before the finish, so if you're only up for a short spin join in and ride as far as you want.
***YOU DO NOT NEED A SMART TRAINER, POWER METER OR EXPENSIVE SETUP TO PARTICIPATE******
For more information on Zwift, email me at [myname, see below]@gmail.com for a newbie guide and tips.
- Must be an active Zwift subscriber/member
- Each weekly ride will be a single "meetup event", which require invitations/acceptances. They won't show up on Zwift's public events calendar, but upon acceptance will show up on your individual Zwift/event calendar (https://zwiftinsider.com/meetups/). Weekly initiations will be sent approximately 24 hours in advance
- Must "follow" Zwift member "Chan Stevens" in order to receive and accept invitations
- Must notify (preferably via email) Chan Stevens requesting to be "followed", providing Zwift name and either current level or approximate date of last Zwift ride in case there are multiple Zwift'ers with your name. Please include which ride(s) you would like to be invited to.
- Logging in at least 5-10 minutes in advance is strongly recommended. Zwift does not support late joins, and mandatory game software updates occasionally throw unexpected login delays at you :-)
Again, ALL SPEED GROUPS AND FITNESS LEVELS ARE WELCOME! The only way you'll drop or get dropped is if you lose your wifi :-).
Beginning 11/26/19 we will attempt to have voice chat functionality during the rides using Discord. To join the group/channel use invitation https://discord.gg/QZRUxRm.
Ride Leader--Chan Stevens